How to get rid of mosquitoes
May 19, 2016
Mosquitoes are a nuisance that appear every year to interrupt your summer fun. These flying pests gnaw at your flesh, resulting in itchy bites that can become infected. Though they seem to be everywhere during the summer, it is possible to minimize their effects. Read on to learn about how to get rid of mosquitoes!
Repellents are a temporary fix, but they can drastically cut down on your property’s mosquito population.
- Apply a lotion or spray repellent containing DEET (N-Diethyl-3-Methylbenzamide) to your skin. This can prevent mosquito bites for an hour or two (read the product’s label to be sure).
- Herbs like citronella, lavender, and rosemary can give off scents that repel mosquitoes. Citronella candles have become a popular method for people who want to repel mosquitoes while outdoors. Try using one of these herbs in a pot as a centerpiece when dining at your patio table.
- Replace your outside light bulbs with LED bulbs. Non-LED bulbs can attract bugs—and mosquitoes are no exception.
Attack mosquitoes where it hurts them the most: their homes and breeding grounds.
- Mosquitoes thrive in stagnant water. Remove containers, bird baths, and other places where puddles of still water collect and you’ll take away the meeting place for the mosquitoes on your property.
- Install a pump to help water circulate if you have a small pond in your yard.
- Invest in screens to attach to your windows and doors. This can help keep mosquitoes from invading your home and biting you inside!
Odds are, you can’t prevent every mosquito bite. While these bites are common and likely to occur, keep an eye out for infections or inflammations. Call your doctor if you think you might be experiencing an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite.
Need Professional Help?
When you want to rid your property of mosquitoes—or any kind of pest—call in the experts at Green Pest Solutions. We know what to do in order to keep your home or business free of infestations.
50% Off Mosquito Control
Hurry! Offer Expires April 15, 2020
Guide to Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes can ruin a summer barbecue and transmit nasty diseases in the process. Learn the conditions that mosquitoes prefer and steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from their bite.