Termites play an important role in nature, but they are much less welcome indoors. These pesky insects cause massive damage and are incredibly hard to get rid of. Read on for some helpful hints about how you can prevent termites in your home.
- Eliminate excess moisture in your home. Standing water in clogged drains, leaky pipes and faucets, or debris-filled gutters are common places for termites to congregate. Keep any trouble areas dry with proper ventilation or plastic sheeting to act as a moisture barrier.
- Prevent humidity by ventilating basements, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Trim tree branches and shrubs to prevent them from touching the walls and foundation of the house.
- Use mulch sparingly and be sure to remove any mulch in contact with your foundation.
- Find entry points like cracks in your foundation or unscreened windows and attic vents and perform necessary repairs.
- Keep firewood (and any other wood debris touching the soil) stacked in a pile away from the house.
- Remove any dead trees or infested stumps.
- Keep wood siding and stucco at least 6″ away from the soil.
- Keep vigilant: monitor any vulnerable areas in and outside of your home; particularly wood window sills, doorframes, and molding. Be wary of any holes or other changes in appearance. Here are the most common types of termite evidence:
- Mud tubes (small holes dug near termite nests)
- Cracked/bubbly paint
- Wood that sounds hollow on contact.
- Invest in a yearly inspection performed by a qualified exterminator. If your home has wood shingles, be sure to ask about preventative wood treatments to deter an infestation on your roof.
Prevent Termites by Contacting a Professional
Sometimes an infestation can get out of your control. That’s where we come in. At Green Pest Solutions, our experienced exterminators have seen it all and are prepared to help rid your home of termites and prevent further intrusions. Call us today at 877-636-9469.
Termites are considered more dangerous to a wood-based home than fire, flood and wind. They cause some $7 billion in structural damage to homes in the United States each year. Learn the signs of a termite infestation and what you can do about it.
Pertains to new annual service agreement. Present at time of service. Cannot be combined with other promotions. Does not include renewals. One coupon per service. Subject to change without notice.
Offer Expires December 15, 2017