The tricky part of having a termite infestation is that most of the damage doesn’t become apparent until the bulk of the destruction is done. Knowing how to identify the subtle signs of termites can alert you to an existing problem, however. Read on to learn what to look for.
Signs of Termites
- Wings: discarded wings left by swarmers (also known as “reproductives”) is one of the most blatant signs that there are termites in your property. These wings look slightly similar to fish scales and usually appear in piles.
- Mud tubes: termites build mud tubes near the foundation of your home to provide themselves with moisture as they go between their nest and food source.
- Floor damage: tiles loosen, wooden floorboards warp and squeak, and laminated floors buckle once termites have begun their work. This is due to the added moisture termites introduce.
- Frass: the official name for termite waste. Termites, like any other pest, leave excrement wherever they go. If you notice small piles of wood-colored pellets that resemble pepper, it could be a sign of termites.
- Wall damage: there are a number of ways a wall can show the evidence of termite damage. Sometimes they simply become discolored. Often, drywall begins to droop or small holes start to appear. Paint typically begins to bubble or peel due to the excessive moisture levels, which is often mistaken for weather-related water damage at first.
- Wood damage: wood, the food of choice for termites, is another obvious indicator. Termite-destructed wood begins to sound hollow. It can also crumble or look damaged for no immediately obvious reason.
Get a Pro Involved
Termites are no laughing matter. They act fast and their destruction is expensive to repair. If you suspect termite activity in your home, the time to act is now. Contact the knowledgable exterminators at Green Pest Solutions to prevent these pests from further damaging your home. Call us today at 877-636-9469 to schedule a free estimate.
Termites are considered more dangerous to a wood-based home than fire, flood and wind. They cause some $7 billion in structural damage to homes in the United States each year. Learn the signs of a termite infestation and what you can do about it.
Pertains to new annual service agreement. Present at time of service. Cannot be combined with other promotions. Does not include renewals. One coupon per service. Subject to change without notice.
Offer Expires March 31, 2019