How to Remove a Bee Hive
July 13, 2017
Once you find a beehive on your property, you’re left with three options: leave it be, contact a pest professional, or remove it yourself. Bee stings are a major consideration, so the first two options are the most advisable. If the bee hive was built near a porch, door, or another high-traffic area you might be more inclined to want to get rid of it. Read on for some tips on how to safely, humanely remove a bee hive yourself.
What to Do
- First, confirm with your doctor that you are not allergic to bee stings. A bee sting allergy can be easily diagnosed through testing.
- Smoke the bees out with a bee smoker and fuel pellets (available at your local garden supply store).
- Wear protective clothing before approaching the bee hive. Gloves, goggles, long sleeves, pants, and a hat are all good ideas for covering your exposed skin.
- Approach the bee hive during the day, when fewer bees are inside the hive.
- Swiftly, calmly, wave the lit smoker around the beehive until the bees are subdued.
- Remove the bee hive and place it in a cardboard box with holes poked in it. Because bees are endangered, it’s important to relocate the hive to a more remote area where they won’t pose a threat to humans.
- Go back to the place where the bee hive was and scrape down and hose off the area to remove any leftover residue. This also keeps future bees colonies away and prevents them from rebuilding in the same area.
We Know How to Remove a Bee Hive
Bee stings can cause serious injury to a person with allergies. In many cases, calling a qualified exterminator is the wisest plan of action when dealing with a bee hive. The pest professionals at Green Pest Solutions are experienced in the safe removal of bee hives (without harming the bees). Contact us today online or at 877-636-9469 to find out how we can help protect you against bees and other stinging insects.
Guide to Stinging Insects
Learn how to identify the various species of stinging insects, their hives and nests and control them with this guide.