Bugs in the Bathroom
What You Might Find
Out of everywhere in your home, you probably want the most privacy when in the bathroom. While a locked door might keep out family members, it won’t stop other invaders from impeding on your space. Learn why you have bugs in your bathroom, what kinds you might find, and how to kick them out to get your privacy back.
Why Are Bugs Attracted to Bathrooms?
Bugs look for three things when deciding where to call home: food, moisture, and safety. Your bathroom provides access to water and likely safe places to hide, so it’s no wonder it’s a hot spot for pests. Whether you have a leak under your sink, lingering moisture after showering, or a drain that holds water, there is an abundance of moisture available in your bathroom.
What Types of Bugs Are Found in Bathrooms?
If any pest is aptly named, it’s silverfish. They have a signature silvery grey color, scaly bodies, and fish-like movements. They prefer to dwell in dark, damp areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages, and attics. Don’t be surprised if you find one darting across your bathroom floor in the middle of the night.
Sewer or drain flies
Drain flies, also known as sewer or moth flies, appear suddenly and become a nuisance quickly. They like to accumulate around showers, bathtubs, sinks, and floor drains. They are tiny, flying insects with wings that are densely covered with hairs. Eggs are laid in moist areas, like pipes, where they stay until adulthood. Once fully formed, they emerge from the drains to hang out in your bathroom.
This pest is known for its love of moist, dark areas. You’re likely to discover them in your bathroom which provides their favorite living circumstances. This sneaky pest can get into your home through drains, including the ones in your bathroom. Because of their love of sweets and carbs, you might even find them trying to snack on leftover toothpaste in your sink.
How to Get Rid of Bugs in Bathrooms
- Reduce moisture. Make sure you turn on your bathroom fan every time you take a shower or a bath. Also, consider getting a squeegee to limit the amount of time water stays out in the open.
- Repair leaks. You might have a leak and not even know it! In fact, the presence of bugs is how many people discover something isn’t quite right with their plumbing. Check under your sinks and around your toilet for any signs of unexpected moisture.
- Seal openings. Pests only need a fraction of an inch to make their way into your home. Inspect your bathroom and other areas of your home inside and out to identify and seal access points.
- Keep your bathroom tidy. Don’t make your bathroom a comfortable place for pests! Be sure to clean any toothpaste from sinks, clean drains periodically, and wipe up any water that ends up on the floor or counters.
- Call Green Pest Solutions. Green Pest Solutions knows all about the types of invasive pests that are commonly found throughout Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey in bathrooms and beyond. With those pests in mind, we developed the most effective preventative solution: Green Band Protection System. The Green Band Protection System is a customized program designed for budget-minded families. Call us today at 877-636-9469 to request a free quote.
$50 Off Premium or Premium Plus Program
Hurry! Offer Expires May 31, 2023