Does Baking Soda Kill Fleas?
September 13, 2018
If you have fleas in your home, you’ll do and try just about anything to get rid of them. You’ll find plenty of options in the store, and surely you’ve read as many articles online that you can find (is that how you found us?). Today, we’re going to take a look at baking soda as a home method for getting rid of fleas. Does it work?
Yes! Baking Soda Can Kill Fleas.
Baking soda dehydrates and kills flea larvae and eggs, preventing the outbreak from growing out of control. However, baking soda can’t do it alone, and the addition might already be in your home and is safe for kids and pets: table salt. But, first you’ll need to stock up; you’ll need gallons of it to do the trick.
- If possible, put animals in a spot away from your treatment zone. While the mixture won’t cause serious harm, if they have open wounds, the salt can be painful.
- Sprinkle salt and baking soda liberally on your carpet or affected area, and leave it overnight to dehydrate the larvae and eggs.
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly and then clean your canister or bag carefully so you don’t accidentally let the fleas out again.
- Repeat the process again in a few days, which is when any leftover eggs would hatch and cause additional problems.
Important caveat: your baking soda must still be active, so a box you’ve had open for a month or more will not work.
Other Flea Solutions
- Vacuum every day and clean out your vacuum after each use
- Did the fleas come in on a pet? Follow your vet’s instructions. You’ll most likely be advised to wash your pet with a special shampoo
- Mow your grass to an appropriate height
- Wash all your clothes and bedding on the highest temperature allowable to help kill eggs
Skip the Baking Soda and Kick Fleas out with Green Pest Solutions
Fleas are no match for our pest experts. If your DIY treatments don’t work or if you want to take some preventative measures to stave off another outbreak, please consider giving us a call to schedule a free consultation. Contact us today at 877-636-9469.